Belgium-based FN Herstal, one of the world’s leading firearms manufacturers, integrates its self-contained airborne pod system onto Airbus’ H145M. This system, demonstrated and qualified by Airbus as part of the so-called HForce program, is based on an all-in-one concept including the worldwide exclusivity by FN Herstal: the .50 cal FN® M3P machine gun.
FN Herstal airborne fixed-forward firing solutions provide military forces with the highest level of operational capability. Fitted with standard lugs, FN® Pods can be mounted onto helicopters and subsonic aircraft equipped with 14’’ NATO standard suspension release units.
Today, the showcased Airbus’ H145M is equipped with 2 FN® HMP400 Pods but, depending on configuration, FN® Pods can come with:
- 250 rounds (FN® HMP250) or 400 rounds (FN® HMP400) ammunition box with links collector or links and cases collector,
- or 250 rounds and 3x70mm (2.75’’) rocket launcher tubes (FN® RMP). Existing FN® HMP250 or FN® HMP400 can be upgraded to FN® RMP configuration using FN® conversion kits.
Each version is available with a MIL-STD-1760 compliant digital architecture making the FN®Pods fully digital and ready for easy integration into modern platforms. They can be operated from FN or non-FN Armament Management Systems (AMS).
- Operates .50 cal FN® M3P machine gun especially designed by FN Herstal
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to install
- Maximum accuracy and high hit probability
- High rate of fire (1,100 RPM per pod) – short time on target
- High firepower combining .50 cal (12.7x99mm NATO) and rockets
- Optional spent links (and cases) collector
- Anti cook-off device
- Only officially qualified fixed-forward firing solution for the FN® M3P
Beside the H145M, FN Herstal’s products are also qualified on other Airbus platforms.
The FN® Pods belong to the comprehensive range of FN Herstal’s integrated weapon systems based on 4 pillars:
Airborne Fixed-Forward Firing Solutions, Airborne Crew Served Weapon Solutions, Land and Sea Mounted Weapon Solutions and Remote Weapon Stations.